SATURDAY 10:30 AM
135 lbs x 10r
225 x 1
245 x 1
275 x 1
PULL-UPS (body weight)
1 set x 25 reps (personal best)
SATURDAY 3PM – 9PM
CYCLING (Velo Cup; Master category 40+; 10 riders)
5 Lap scratch race – 6th
7 Lap win and out – 4th
10 Lap Split Scratch – 4th
Miss and Out – 2nd
Omnium – 4th out of 10 (20 points)
- AM body weight 172 lbs
- I took 4th in omnium and 2nd in 50+ My goal was top 5 in the omnium and 3rd in 50+. I was only three points out of third place. 1st and 3rd place winners are 10-15 years younger than me.
- I made tactical mistakes that cost me points in all four races. Especially the first race. The 5 lap scratch race has one sprint. There is little room for error. I stayed on the front the entire race because the speed was so slow. In the future I need to get off the front after lap one and keep position for the final move. I could have easily contended for second or third place worth 6 or 4 more points. Instead I got 1 point.
- I had a good chance to win the final race had I made an earlier move. I have a better long sprint than the winner. Instead I waited too long and when he jumped on the downhill I had to get around another rider on the uphill giving him a speed advantage and I couldn’t cover the gap. That cost me 2 points.
- Last year at this event I placed 9th out of 11 riders with 2 points. With an effective off season plan I expect even better results next year.
- Something to remember. Most of my competitors now have 100s of races behind them and have benefit of experience. I’m still learning.